MAD Initiatives had its first edition in 2004 under the Adivasi Munnetra Sangam (AMS) umbrella and was relaunched in March 2012 with a sponsored cycling trip from Bangalore to Gudalur (about 300km), in the Nilgiri Hills
The Adivasi Munnetra Sangam (AMS) is the central people’s movement, around which ACCORD, ASHWINI, and Vidyodaya operate. While ACCORD undertakes community mobilisation and economic development initiatives, ASHWINI provides a range of health services (including a 40-inpatient bed hospital), and VBVT provides a number of educational services for the adivasi community, including the Vidyodaya school. The Shola Trust and Just Change are also associated with the adivasis here in the Gudalur valley, through nature conservation and fair economic trading respectively. Given the diversity of skills and people in this area, we decided to create an opportunity for a wider range of people to get involved with us.
Our Goal with GoMad tours are 3 fold
- Sensitize people about the challenges faced by the tribal communities in rural regions of the Nilgiris
- Provide an opportunity for them to engage and interact with organisations supporting rural communities
- Organise a fundraising to help organisations that are supporting the Adivasi Munnetra Sangam (AMS) and its initiatives
What can one experience and expect on the tour?
- First hand knowledge and exposure to organizations and individuals involved in social initiatives
- Explore the countryside of South India from Bangalore to Gudalur
- Meet like minded travellers who are taking to social initiatives
- Opportunity to support the cause by fundraising for programs of the Adivasi Munnetra Sangam (AMS)
Learn more about the CAUSE